Copyright © 2002 Office of the Attorney General
How to Register a Marriage

What process must I go through in order to get married?
Persons wishing to be married must:

  • Make arrangements with the Marriage Officer or Magistrate who they wish to perform the marriage.
  • The Marriage Officer or Clerk to the Magistrate provides the parties to the marriage with a letter to be presented at the time when making an application for a Marriage Licence.

Documents required for obtaining a Marriage Licence:

  • An original or certified copy of applicants' birth certificate or
  • Valid passport if the parties are non-resident Identification cards of applicants
  • If either party was married previously and widowed, a certified copy of the marriage certificate and death certificate in respect of the deceased spouse.
  • If either party was divorced, an original Decree Absolute or a certified copy of Final Judgement. If the document is in a Foreign Language, the document must be translated and certified by an authorised Notary Public.
N.B. The Decree Nisi is not accepted.

Additional requirements:

  • Persons who have been granted Barbadian citizenship – either by descent or registration, immigrant status or permanent residence, are required to produce the original document issued by the Immigration Department of Barbados or the passport in which the relevant information has been stamped.
  • Non-nationals who have been granted work permits must produce the passport showing that a work permit was issued to them, or the relevant document issued by the Immigration Department.

N. B. The application form or receipt is not accepted. A marriage licence cannot be issued for a date, which is beyond the expiry date of any visitor’s stay in Barbados.

Marriage of Minors
Persons under age sixteen (16) years cannot be legally married in Barbados. For persons between the ages of sixteen (16) and eighteen (18) years, the consent of both parents must be obtained and both parents must be present at the time of application. Failing this, a Judge in Barbados, on application being made to him, may exercise his discretion to dispense with consent.

Marriage Licences are obtained from:
The Ministry of Home Affairs, Post Office Complex, Cheapside. St. Michael

What fees should I pay?
Fees are:

  • Where either party is a citizen of Barbados - $45.00 and $10.00 in postage stamps
  • Where neither party is a citizen of Barbados - $150.00 and $25.00 in postage stamps

Where a Magistrate is performing the marriage the following fees must be paid to the Court on receipt of the Marriage Licence:

  • Where either party is a citizen of Barbados $50.00
  • Where neither party is a citizen of Barbados $150.00

Marriage to be performed away from the Court

  • Where either party is a citizen of Barbados $75.00
  • Where neither party is a citizen of Barbados $250.00

N.B. Marriage Licence must be presented to the Clerk of the Court.

In what time frame should a Marriage be registered?
A Marriage must be registered within the first ten (10) days of every month.

Where should a Marriage be registered?
All Marriages are registered at the Registration Department, Coleridge Street, Bridgetown.

Who should register a Marriage?
It is the responsibility of the Marriage Officer and the Magistrate who performs the marriage to register that marriage.

Document to be produced:

  • Fully completed duplicate original Marriage record - Marriage Card.

What information must be included in the Marriage record?

  • Place of marriage
  • Date of marriage
  • Name and Surname of the husband
  • Name and Maiden Name of the wife
  • Age of the husband
  • Age of the wife
  • Marital status of husband and wife
  • Addresses of husband and wife - present addresses (foreign addresses are not allowed)
  • Occupation of husband
  • Occupation of wife
  • Name and occupation of husband’s father
  • Name and occupation of wife’s father
  • Signatures of husband and wife
  • Signatures of witnesses
  • Signature of Marriage Officer or Magistrate.